Coconut Rice is a delicious and flavorful south Indian dish cooked with freshly extracted coconut milk.For this recipe you need to add coconut milk instead of adding water to cook the rice.
For this recipe i took half coconut.but you can use full coconut to extract coconut milk.Then you will get thick coconut milk.you can adjust the quantity of coconut according to your taste.There are different variations of Coconut Rice.Some people add tempering to the coconut rice along with some roasted peanuts,cashew nuts.and grated coconut is directly added to the tempering.This method is followed when offering Naivedyam to God. This tempered coconut rice can also be served without any side dish.
In this recipe i didn’t add tempering to the rice.i used some whole spices to make it tasty and flavorful .This can be served with vegetarian korma curry or any non-vegetarian gravy curry.the coconut milk should not be too thick.otherwise the rice may stick to the bottom of the vessel.half coconut is enough for 500 grams of rice.
If you don’t have time to prepare coconut milk,you can buy ready to use coconut milk from the market.usually it comes in 200 ml pack with first press thick coconut milk.you can dilute the coconut milk with 300 ml of water.
Text version of Coconut Rice
- Basmati rice/Long grained rice – 450 grams
- coconut – half if the fruit
- water – 600 ml
- black pepper seeds-5
- cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- star anise – 1
- mace – 1 flower
- cloves -4
- cardamoms -6
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoons
- bay leaf – 1
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- ghee/clarified butter – 1 teaspoon
- oil – 3 teaspoons
- salt – as required
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon(optional)
- mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- soak basmati rice/normal rice in water for 30 minutes.
- after 30 minutes you need to rinse the rice to remove the starch.
- break a coconut in half.
- take half part of the coconut and separate the flesh from shell.
- peel off the hard brown skin from coconut.
- make coconut into small slices and put them in juicer(with pulp extractor).
- add water 600 ml.
- run the juicer for 2-3 minutes.
- take coconut milk into a bowl and keep aside.
- If you don’t have time to do all this,you can use ready to use coconut milk from the market.
- heat up the pan,add fennel seeds(1 teaspoon),cardamoms -3 and dry roast until you get a nice flavor.
- make them into powder and keep aside.
- heat up the vessel,add oil and ghee/clarified butter.
- when the oil is hot,add whole spices,bay leaf,cinnamon,cardamoms,mace,star anise,black pepper seeds,cloves.
- add sliced onion,green chillies,salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor is gone.
- add turmeric powder(optional),soaked Basmati rice and mix well.
- add coconut milk,Fennel seeds&Cardamom powder,fresh mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- taste for salt,add if necessary.
- cook on high heat and bring it to boil.
- when it starts to boil,turn the heat to simmer and cook on low heat until the rice is perfectly done.
Video version of Coconut rice