Broad beans are highly nutritious.They are rich in dietary fiber and iron.though they are available throughout the year,winter is the best season to get fresh and seedy broad beans.i cook them weekly twice during winter.broad beans fry and broad beans tomato curry are commonly cooked here.they can also be used in cooking chicken and mutton curries. i like chicken curry with broad beans and tomato.
you need open each bean to check whether they are any worms.before that you need pull the strings off on both sides of the beans.
Text version of Indian broad beans tomato curry
- indian broad beans – 250 grams
- tomatoes – 3
- chopped onions – 2 medium
- green chillies – 3
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- coriander powder – 1 tsp
- oil – 4 tsp
- water – 2 cups
- chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- remove the strings off on both the sides of the broad beans.
- cut them into inch sized pieces.
- put them in salt water for 5 minutes.
- rinse under running water again and keep aside.
- heat oil in a pressure pan.add chopped onions and green chillies.
- sauté until soft.
- add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw flavor goes away.
- add turmeric powder,salt,red chilli powder,coriander powder and mix well.
- add broad beans mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- add tomato pieces and mix it up.
- pour 2 cups of water,cover it with lid and cook up to 3-4 whistles.
- do not open the lid until the pressure is gone.
- later open it and keep on the flame again and cook until the gravy thickens.
- add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Video version of Indian broad beans tomato curry