Vankaya tomato chutney is a tasty and spicy Andhra style pachadi. my grandmother used to grind this chutney using a stone mortar and pestle( in a beautiful backyard with trees and many flowering plants).she used to add very hot rice in the mortar itself with some fresh butter,mix it and give handful of that to us. unforgettable sweet memories :).
Text version of Vankaya Tomato chutney
- mature brinjals – 200 grams
- tomatoes – 2
- green chillies – 7 or 8
- coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- tamarind – lemon-sized
- garlic cloves – 3 or 4
- salt – as needed
- oil – 3 or 4 tbsp
- chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- cut brinjal into slices and keep aside.
- heat oil in a pan,add coriander seeds,cumin seeds,green chilli pieces,sliced brinjal.
- add tamarind and salt.mix well and fry until soft and tender.
- add tomatoes and fry until soft.
- let them cool down.
- put them in a chopper and make into coarse paste.
- add chopped coriander leaves and serve with hot rice.
Video version of Vankaya Tomato chutney