Kaju Mushroom Masala curry is very tasty restaurant style recipe in which soaked Cashew Nuts are cooked with Mushrooms in a thick masala gravy. For this recipe i took quarter cup of split cashew nuts and soaked in water for half an hour. also added fresh cream and dried basil leaves for extra taste.It tastes good when served hot Rotis or rice.
my paternal grandmother used to cook raw cashew nuts curry when i was a child. she used to add ghee instead of oil.still i remember that heavenly taste.raw cashews are little tender nuts.
we used to have agricultural land in west Godavari district,Andhra pradesh. a part of that was cashew nut plantation .we used to play on the branches of cashew nut trees and eat its fruits. I know how the farmers harvest and process the cashew nuts. Later we sold that land and bought paddy fields at another place. but till today i own each and every millimeter of that agricultural land in my memories. anybody can sell a property easily but could they sell the memories Entwined around it ? after many years recently i visited that place again and got upset to see the land.it is like jungle now.
Text version of Kaju mushroom masala curry
- Button mushrooms – 200 g
- cashew nuts – 125 g
- onion paste – made of 2 medium onions
- tomato paste – made of 2 tomatoes
- fresh cream – 1/8 cup
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- green chillies -2
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- salt – 1/2 tablespoon
- coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- cardamoms -3
- cloves -4
- cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- bayleaf – 1
- dried basil leaf – 1/2 teaspoon
- oil – 4 tablespoons
- coriander leaves – fistful
- soak cashew nuts in water for 30 minutes.
- rinse mushrooms,cut them into halves and keep aside.
- heat a pan,add bay leaf,cinnamon stick,cloves,cardamoms,shahi jeera.
- add onion paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- add ginger garlic paste, saute till the raw flavour is gone.
- add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt,coriander powder and mix well.
- add mushrooms and mix them for once.
- next add soaked cashew nuts and mix again.
- cover it and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- add fresh cream and mix it.
- add dried basil leaves ,cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- garnish with coriander leaves.