Snake gourd curd chutney is very simple and tasty recipe.For this recipe, boiled snake gourd pieces are added to fried onions and curd is added later.It almost tastes like Raitha. I didn’t add asafoetida while tempering, but you can add a little if you like to. you need to add the curd after the curry comes down to room temperature. Otherwise the curd will coagulate i.e it transforms into small lumps. there won’t be any difference in the taste but the recipe may look weird. I don’t know why this recipe is called chutney ,though there is nothing to grind. Here in Andhra,they call it as chutney, so do I.
There is a superstition that “Snake gourd and egg cannot be served together on the same day”. But my mother didn’t believe in those words. she used to serve this recipe with a boiled egg. after marriage my husband refused to eat snake gourd with egg(as we eat one boiled egg every day). I asked him to give me a valid reason. but he couldn’t. Finally ,he had to accept.
Text version of Snake gourd curd chutney
- chopped snake gourd – 250g
- chopped onions – 2 medium
- green chillies -2
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- dried red chilli – 1
- curry leaves
- turmeric powder – a pinch
- salt – as needed
- red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- curd – 150 g
- coriander leaves –
- oil – 2 tbsp
- pour some water in a vessel and bring it to boil.
- when the water starts to boil,add chopped snake gourd pieces.
- boil them for 4-5 minutes,and strain out the water.keep aside.
- heat up the pan,add oil.
- when the oil is hot,add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,dried red chilli and fry until they splutter.
- when they stops to splutter add curry leaves,wait until they stop spluttering.
- add onions,green chillies,salt and fry until they become soft.
- add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,fry for a minute.
- add boiled snake gourd pieces,mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- when it is down to room temperature add curd and mix well.
- garnish with coriander leaves.