Hyderabadi khichdi is prepared with rice and dal.i have used Basmati rice and masoor dal/red lentils for this preparation.but normal rice and moong dal/split green gram can also be used. For each cup of basmati rice you need to add 1 1/2 cups of water and 2 cups of water for normal rice.for each cup of dal ,add 1 1/2 cups of water.Hyderabadi khichdi can be served with khatta.but i prefer raw rasam/pachi pulusu in telugu.
Text version of Hyderabadi Khichdi
- basmati/normal rice – 300 grams
- masoor dal/moong dal – 150 grams
- thinly sliced onion – 1
- green chillies – 3
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- bay leaves – 2
- cinnamon – 1 inch
- cloves – 4
- cardamom – 4
- black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- shahi jeera/caraway seeds – 1/2 tsp
- mint leaves – 5 sprigs
- chopped coriander – 1/4 cup
- ghee/clarified butter – 1 tsp
- salt – as needed
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- oil – 3 or 4 tbsp
- water – 600 ml
- take a bowl,add basmati or normal rice and dal.
- pour water and soak for 30 minutes.
- later rinse for 3-4 times and keep aside.
- heat 3 or 4 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel or in a pressure pan.
- add whole spices like – bay leaves,black pepper,cinnamon,cardamom,caraway seeds/shahi jeera and mix for once.
- add thinly sliced onions,sliced green chillies and sauté until soft and light brown.
- add ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder and fry for a minute.
- add 600 ml of water and bring the water to a boil.
- when the water starts to boil,add enough salt,mint leaves,chopped coriander leaves,1 tsp of ghee and mix well.
- add soaked basmati/normal rice.water stops to boil after adding rice.
- so bring to boil again and then turn the flame to simmer.
- cover and cook till the rice is perfectly done.
Video version of Hyderabadi Khichdi