Kara boondi is a tasty and spicy Indian snack.there are few popular recipes with boondi.like boondi laddoo,boondi raitha,boondi chikki with jaggery,boondi curry etc….preparing boondi is little tricky.for kara boondi the boondi should be round,hallow and crispy.the outcome of the recipe depends on mixing the batter.batter should be in poury consistency.seasoning varies from place to place.i have used Andhra style seasoning.try this recipe and don’t forget to leave a comment.keep on cooking..enjoy 🙂
Text version of Kara Boondi
Kara Boondi – how to prepare Boondi at home
- For preparing batter
- gram flour/chickpea flour/besan – 250 grams
- water – enough
- oil – 2 tsp
- For making Boondi
- Boondi ladle – 1
- colander – to drain out the excess oil
- oil – for deep-frying
- For seasoning
- salt – to taste
- red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- garlic pods -2
- curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- peanuts – 1/3 cup
- namkeen biscuits – 1/4 cup
- heat oil for deep-frying.meanwhile you can prepare the batter.
- take a mixing bowl,add gram flour/besan and mix it up for once.
- keep pouring the water slowly until the batter is smooth.
- leave the batter for 2 minutes.again it become little thick.
- then add 2 teaspoons of oil,some water and make the batter into poury consistency.
Testing the batter and oil.
- leave 2 drops of batter into oil.if the batter floats to the top immediately then the oil is ready.
- take out the droplets from the oil.if they are round hallow and crispy then the batter is perfect.
- take a boondi ladle,keep it 15 cms above the oil and pour a spoonful of batter on it.
- tap the ladle till the batter disappears.
- boondi comes out like droplets and goes into oil.
- fry them until crispy and put them in a colander to drain out the excess oil.
- repeat the process.
- next deep-fry peanuts,curry leaves and namkeen biscuits and keep aside.
Preparing the seasoning for boondi
- heat a pan,add 1 teaspoon of oil.
- when the oil is hot,add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds,crushed garlic pods and roast for 30 seconds and keep aside.
- take boondi into a mixing bowl,add deep-fried peanuts,curry leaves,namkeen biscuits,salt,red chilli powder,roasted cumin&garlic and mix well.
Video version of Kara Boondi
Leave a Reply