I prepared prawns curry with coconut milk last weekend.The taste was awesome.and prepared Coconut rice on the same day.It’s a great combination.
I used clay pot for cooking this recipe.but you can cook in any normal vessel.and i used whole spices instead of garam masala.i added chilli powder in marination and finely chopped green chillies to the curry and skipped adding red chilli powder.It’s a Kerala recipe but i modified a little. not only Kerala,but Coastal Andhra people also use coconut in cooking curries and sweets. That too both Godavari districts(East & West) people use Coconut. Konaseema region is very famous for coconut plantation.This region is similar to Kerala. …try and enjoy….:)
Text version of Prawns curry with coconut milk
- Prawns – 800 grams
- onions – 2 medium
- green chillies – 6 or 7
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 2 1/2 teaspoons
- red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- cardamoms – 3
- cloves -5
- mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- oil – 5 tablespoons/60 ml
- salt – as required
- rinse prawns thoroughly.
- soak them in buttermilk for few minutes to get rid of fishy smell.
- rinse again and take into a mixing bowl.
- add turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon,salt 1 teaspoon,red chilli powder 1 teaspoon,black pepper powder 1/4 teaspoon and coriander powder 1 teaspoon.
- mix well and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- take two medium sized onions and 6 or 7 green chillies according to you taste.
- put them in a chopper and chop them
- For this recipe i used clay pot,but you can use a normal vessel.
- heat up the vessel,add oil and heat it.
- when the oil is hot,add chopped onions and green chillies.
- saute until they become soft and transparent.
- add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw flavor is gone.
- add turmeric powder,salt,coriander powder and chopped mint leaves.
- add marinated prawns and mix well.
- cover it and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.mix in between.
- water oozes out from the prawns.add little more water (1 cup).
- add 1/2 cup of coconut milk ,mix well,add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder and cook for 10 minutes.
- when the gravy becomes thick,add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Leave a Reply