Some people ignore Karela because of its bitter taste. but it is has many medicinal values.it is good for diabetic patients as it lowers sugar levels in blood. i like bitter gourd recipes and usually prepare fry,gravy curry and Stuffed Karela curry. I like stuffed karela among those recipes.in the following recipe bitter gourds are stuffed with a paste made with spices,onions and tamarind. There is another version of stuffed karela in which dry stuff is used.
Text version of Stuffed Karela
Stuffed Karela-how to prepare stuffed kakarakaya recipe
Recipe Type: Main
- bitter gourds – 4
- oil – 5 teaspoons
- For stuffing Masala
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana dal – 1 tablespoon
- coriander seeds – 1 1/4 tbsp
- sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- peanuts – 1 tbsp
- onions – 3 big
- tamarind – 1 lemon-sized
- chopped coriander – 1/4 cup
- oil – 5 teaspoons
Preparing bitter gourds for the recipe
- cut the edges of each bitter gourd.
- scrape the ridges with a peeler.
- rinse them for once.
- make a lengthwise cut on one side.but do not cut up to the ends.
- take water in a vessel,add 1 tbsp of salt,put the bitter gourds in water.
- boil them for 7-10 minutes from the boiling point.
- squeeze out the water gently and take them into a plate,keep aside.
Preparation of stuffing Masala
- heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds,Chana dal,coriander seeds,sesame seeds,peanuts,dried red chillies and sauté for a minute.
- add tamarind,onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- transfer them into a grinder jar and make into a paste.
- take the mixture into a bowl,add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Preparing stuffed bitter gourds
- take the boiled bitter gourds and stuff each bitter gourd with the masala paste.
- heat oil in a pan,place the bitter gourds on it.
- cover it and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- open the lid,turn the bitter gourds to other side and cook until they are perfectly done.
- turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander.
Video version of Stuffed Karela
Leave a Reply