In Telugu we have a proverb “Ulli chese melu thalli kuda cheyadu”. that means “Onion will do more favour than mother” [but they make me cry everyday 🙁 ]. Recently we started eating Onion chutney with oats everyday for breakfast after knowing its health benefits.Onions are very low in calories and fat but rich in soluble dietary fiber. it helps to regulate sugar levels in blood. helps in weight loss.
When i was a child, i used to visit our farm land with my grandfather. the agricultural labour who came to work there used to bring leftover rice in cans with pickle and buttermilk for their lunch. they used to eat buttermilk with one Raw Onion and one green chilli. i used to watch them until they finish eating.
In the following recipe i used a little tamarind but you can avoid that to make the chutney more healthy. you can also use green chillies instead of red chillies.try and enjoy…
Text version of Onion Chutney
- cubed onions-2 big size
- dried red chillies-6 or 7
- cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- coriander seeds-1 teaspoon
- tamarind-small lemon sized
- garlic cloves-3
- salt-to taste
- oil-1 1/4 tbsp
- heat oil in a pan.
- add dried red chillies,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,tamarind and saute till you get a nice flavor or approximately for a minute.
- add onion cubes and just fry them for half a minute.
- put them in a blender and make into a coarse paste.