Soya chunks Pulao is not only tasty rice recipe but also very nutritious as soya chunks are rich in proteins.i used Nutrela soya chunks for this recipe.you need to soak the chunks for 7-10 minutes in hot water.volume doubles after few minutes.drain out the water from soya chunks and rinse for 2-3 times to remove the odd (raw) flavor.soya chunks won’t quickly absorb the spices and flavors.so you can marinate them with salt,red chilli powder and pulao masala for 5-10 minutes.or you can cook them on simmer for 5 minutes after adding all the spices and masalas before adding water and soaked rice.if you add water immediately after adding soya chunks without cooking them for proper time you may feel like eating a tasteless sponge.i didn’t use any vegetables for this pulao,but adding some freshly chopped carrots,green peas,potatoes enhances the taste.keep cooking…..enjoy 🙂
Text version of Soya Chunks Pulao
- For Soya Chunks pulao
- basmati rice – 1 1/2 cups
- soya chunks – 1 cup (150 g)
- thinly sliced onions – 2
- green chillies -2
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- salt – as needed
- turmeric powder – a pinch
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- whole spices – for flavor
- mint leaves – fistful
- chopped coriander leaves -fistful
- For pulao masala
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- cardamoms – 3
- cloves – 3
- cinnamon – 1 inch
- soak 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice for 30 minutes.meanwhile you can prepare masala and soya chunks.
- heat a pan,add fennel seeds,cinnamon stick,cardamom,cloves and sauté for a minute.
- make them into fine powder and keep aside.
- take hot water,add salt so the water tastes salty.
- add soya chunks,and leave for 7-10 minutes.
- volume of soya chunks raises after few minutes.strain out the water from chunks.
- squeeze the chunks to remove absorbed water.
- here you can marinate soaked soya chunks with little salt,red chilli powder,masala powder for 5 minutes.
- heat a pan,add oil.when the oil is hot,add one bay leaf,some whole spices,thinly sliced onions,slit green chillies,salt and sauté until they become soft.
- add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor goes away.
- next add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,pulao masala,yogurt and mix well.
- add soaked soya chunks mix again,cover it and cook for 5-7 minutes low heat or until the soya chunks absorb the spices.
- add 3 cups of water for 1 1/2 cups of soaked rice.
- add fresh mint leaves,chopped coriander leaves and bring it to boil.
- when the rice starts to boil.turn the heat to simmer,cover it and cook until the rice is perfectly done.
- turn off the heat and leave it for few minutes and then serve.
Video version of Soya Chunks Pulao