Tomato pickle tastes amazing when served with any breakfast items like upma,idli and dosa..when I have no time to prepare peanut or coconut chutney I use to serve breakfast with Tomato Pickle.my daughter likes it very much than coconut chutney.it tastes amazing when a spoonful of pickle mixed with a spoonful of melted ghee/clarified butter and served with Urad dal vadas or minapa garelu.
there are many variations of this pickle.but this is the traditional way of preparing Tomato Pickle.the difference is that it lasts for a longer time( up to one year).slight discoloration may occur after few months.to avoid this you can store it refrigerator, if you have enough space.i store all my pickles in refrigerator and use in small quantities when required.
actually, i shot the video one year ago ,but has been groaning in Unfinished Folder of my Hard drive all these days.recently,one of my youtube viewers asked me the recipe for Tomato pickle and it got deliverance finally.gooseberry pickle,drumstick pickle are also in the unfinished list.
you need to choose fresh,semi ripe,juicy tomatoes for this pickle.now a days farmers are using all chemical fertilizers.i don’t know whether anybody recognised the difference in the taste of vegetables. if they are naturally grown with organic fertilizers,you can feel the taste of the vegetable through the flavor while cooking. we used to grow all the vegetables in our backyard.now we people are in such a bad situation that we are buying natural things unnaturally with ‘ORGANIC’ TAG…. 🙁
Text version of Tomato Pickle
- For pickling
- Fresh semi-ripe tomatoes – 1 kilogram
- tamarind – 150 grams
- dried red chilli powder – 75 grams
- garlic paste – 50 grams
- turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- roasted fenugreek powder – 1 teaspoon
- salt – as required
- For tempering
- mustard seeds – 2 teaspoons
- cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons
- spilt bengal gram – 3 teaspoons
- curry leaves – 5 sprigs
- dried red chillies – 6
- oil – 250 ml
- choose fresh,semi-ripe tomatoes,rinse thoroughly and pat them dry.
- next cut each tomato into eight pieces.
- take a clean and dry jar or any container with lid.
- transfer the tomato pieces into dry jar,add salt,turmeric powder,mix well,cover it with lid and leave it overnight.
- by the next day water oozes out from tomato pieces.
- take a clean plastic sheet and keep it under sunlight.
- squeeze out water from tomato pieces and spread them over the sheet.save the oozed out water for later use.
- keep it under sunlight for 4 – 5 days.but do not put them in water again.
- take tamarind,remove the seeds and fibres if any and soak in oozed out tomato water.leave it for 4-5 days until the tomatoes are dried.
- after 3 days, transfer the soaked tamarind into a grinder jar and make into a fine paste.
- next add HALF of the dried tomatoes to the tamarind paste and grind again.
- take out the paste into a mixing bowl,add the remaining dried tomato pieces,dried red chilli powder,turmeric powder,roasted fenugreek powder,salt,garlic paste and mix well.
- heat oil in a pan.
- add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,dried red chillies,curry leaves and wait until they sizzle.
- turn off the heat,add the tadka to the tomato pickle and mix well.
- take a very clean,dry, airtight container and transfer the pickle.
you may like other pickles Andhra Mango pickle,Lemon pickle,Chicken pickle.
Video version of Tomato Pickle
Leave a Reply