Preparing Drumstick pickle is very easy.but you need to choose fresh(with green skins),mature(not fully mature or dry),fleshy(shouldn’t be thin) drumsticks for this pickle.i have added 100 grams of red chilli powder.but it can be adjusted depending on the spiciness. drumsticks pieces are fried before mixing the pickle.they should be fried until color changes slightly.
it should be stored in clean,dry airtight container and can be refrigerated.the pickle lasts up to 3-4 months.salt and oil are the preservatives that keep the pickle fresh for longer time.adding enough oil prevents the pickle from discoloration.tastes amazing when served with hot rice and ghee/clarified butter.
you may also like Ripe red chilli pickle , Tomato pickle , Mango pickle , Lemon pickle
Text version of Drumstick pickle
- For pickle mixture
- Drumsticks – 8(500 grams)
- tamarind – 125 grams
- water – 250 ml
- salt – 2 tbsp + 100 grams
- red chilli powder – 100 grams
- fenugreek/methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- garlic – 40 grams (25-30 pods)
- oil – 150 or 200 ml
- For tempering
- mustard seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- dried red chillies – 4
- curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- take 125 grams of tamarind,remove the fibers,hard shells and seeds if any.
- rinse with pure water for once.
- then take the tamarind into a cooking vessel,pour 250 ml of water approximately.
- add 2 tbsp of salt,1 tsp of turmeric powder and keep it on the flame.
- bring it to a boil.
- reduce the heat to simmer and keep stirring until it becomes like a paste.
- turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- put the tamarind in a grinder jar,make into fine paste and keep aside.
- heat a pan,add 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and dry roast for 2 minutes on low heat.
- later pound them and keep side.
- take garlic cloves into a mixer jar,make into fine paste and keep aside.
- rinse drumsticks and pat dry with a clean cloth.
- remove the two ends on each drumstick.
- cut them all into 1 1/2 inch size pieces.
- heat 150 to 200 ml in a frying pan,add drumsticks and fry until they change their color slightly or fry for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- take fried drumstick pieces into a wide mixing bowl,add tamarind paste,red chilli powder,salt,fenugreek seeds powder,garlic paste and mix well.
- heat up the leftover oil again,add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,dried red chillies and fry until crispy.
- add curry leaves and fry until they stop spluttering.
- add tadka/tempering to the pickle and mix well.
Video version of Drumstick pickle
Leave a Reply