Onion rings pakora are usually served as snacks or side dish in India.for this recipe onions are sliced in crosswise and the rings are separated.and the onions are dipped in a smooth batter prepared with gram flour/besan, all-purpose flour,salt eating soda and carom/ajwain seeds. the taste is similar to normal onion pakora.tastes good when served with tomato ketchup or mayonnaise.i like the taste of ajwain/carom seeds.so i like to add them more.ajwain seeds help to reduce the gas formed in the stomach due to gram flour/chickpea flour.so they are added to all besan-based foods in Indian cooking.
other variation of the onions rings – in which onion rings are coated with the batter which is prepared with all-purpose flour and eggs.bread crumbs are used for crispy onion rings.
Text version of Onion Rings
- onions – 3 or 4
- besan/gram flour – 3/4 cup
- maida/all-purpose flour – 1/4 cup
- salt – as needed
- eating soda – 1/8 tsp
- carom seeds/ajwain – 1/4 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- water – as required
- take a mixing bowl add gram flour/besan,maida,salt,eating soda,carom seeds,red chilli powder and mix well.
- next pour water little by little and make into smooth batter without lumps and keep aside
- cut the peeled onions into slices and separate the rings carefully.
- heat oil for deep frying
- when the oil is hot,dip the onions rings in the batter and drop into oil carefully.
- turn the heat to medium high and fry the rings until they turn into nice golden brown color.
- take them on to paper towel to remove excess oil.
Video version of Onion Rings