Pudina rice is very tasty and flavorful recipe. My little devil (my daughter) asked me to cook Mint rice for her. I too like Pudina rice very much but i’m too lazy to pluck the leaves. I asked her to do it for me. she said “NO”. I bribed her (allowed her to watch DORAEMON cartoon), then she said “Yes”. I must say “this recipe is very very easy to prepare,if you have mint leaves ready.”
I used a heavy bottomed vessel for this recipe. but you can do the same in a pressure cooker(upto 3 whistles),or an electric rice cooker. Tastes good when served with Raitha. try and enjoy…
Text version of Pudina Rice
- Rice-2 cups
- fresh mint leaves-1 cup
- thinly sliced onion-1 medium sized
- green chillies-4
- fresh coconut pieces-4 or 5
- garlic cloves-3
- ginger-1/2 inch piece
- fennel seeds-1/4 tbsp
- cinnamon sticks 1 inch-2
- cardamoms-6 or 7
- bay leaf-1
- salt-to taste
- ghee(clarified butter)-1/2 tbsp
- oil-3 or 4 tbsp
- water-3 1/4 cups
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- next take fresh mint leaves wash them thoroughly and put them in a blender.
- add chopped ginger,garlic cloves,fresh coconut,fennel seeds,cardamoms,cloves and cinnamon stick.
- make them into a fine paste.
- take a heavy bottomed vessel,pour oil,add whole spices,thinly sliced onions and green chillies.
- fry them until they become tender.
- add mint paste and give it a mix.
- add yogurt and mix again.
- add water and bring it to a boil.The ratio of Basmati rice and water should be 1:1.5
- add ghee and salt to taste.
- then add soaked basmati rice and cook until the rice is perfectly done.