Vegetable Dum Biryani Recipe with step by step instructions.
I love biryani very much.I regularly prepare the non-veg biryani, usually on every alternate weekend.we never even thought of eating vegetable Dum Biryani.This is for the first time I prepared Veg Biryani.My husband, Sachin asked me to prepare this recipe for his vegetarian friend.Then I realized that we never ate this vegetable dum biryani and prepared this recipe.It turned out great.got the best compliments from my husband and his friends as well.I don’t know how it got that much taste but felt like eating the best ever biryani.I forgot to add potatoes.you can add few baby potatoes.Try and enjoy….
you may also like
Mint/Pudina rice Recipe
Mango rice/Mamidikaya Pulihora Recipe
Coconut Rice Recipe
Beetroot Pulao Recipe
Hyderabadi Khichdi Recipe
Text version of Vegetable Dum Biryani
- FOR VEG BIRYANI MASALA
- coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Marathi moggu(kapok buds )- 2
- cumin seeds -1 tbsp
- black pepper seeds -1 tbsp
- dagad phool(black stone flower ) -4 petals
- cloves- 4
- star anise – 1/2 flower
- cardamoms – 12
- cinnamon sticks- 3( 1 inch)
- shahi jeera-1 tsp
- fennel seeds-1 tsp
- bay leaves-3
- FOR MARINATION
- onions – 2 medium-sized
- green chilies – 4
- ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- yogurt – 250 grams
- fresh cream-100 grams
- turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- dried red chili powder- 2 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- oil- 75 ml appx
- ghee(clarified butter) -1 tbsp
- VEGETABLES FOR BIRYANI
- basmati rice – 3 1/2 cups or 600 grams
- cauliflower florets – 10
- baby potatoes peeled – 5
- carrots sliced – 2
- green bell pepper diced – 1/2 piece
- french beans chopped – 5
- green peas- 1/4 cup
- paneer(cottage cheese) cubes- 200 grams
- mushrooms – 200grams
- fresh mint leaves-handful
- a heavy bottomed non-stick vessel with lid
- aluminium foil.
- cut all the vegetables and keep them aside.
- soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- cut onions into very thin long slices and deep fry them until they turn into golden brown color.
- dry roast all the biryani masala spices that I mentioned above in the ingredients section.roast them till you get a nice flavor.put them in a blender and make into a fine powder.
- for this recipe, we need only 1 TBSP of this masala.so store rest of the masala in an air tight container for future use.
- take a bowl, add yogurt, heavy cream and whisk them.
- add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, biryani masala(we made), ginger garlic paste.
- add the whole spices that I mentioned above.
- next, add all the vegetables, and the leftover oil used for deep-frying onions and ghee.
- mix them well and leave it 15 minutes.
- boil water in a vessel.add soaked basmati rice.
- water stops to boil when you add rice.bring it to boil again.
- cook it for 2 minutes from boiling point.
- turn off the heat and strain the water immediately.
- take a heavy bottomed non-stick vessel, pour some oil to grease it.
- transfer the marinade into the vessel.
- spread half-cooked rice over the marinade evenly.
- add some fried onions and fresh mint leaves.
- seal the vessel with aluminium foil carefully.
- place the lid over the vessel.cook on high flame for 12-15 minutes.
- then turn the flame to simmer for 5 minutes.turn off the heat.
- serve it with raitha and Mirchi ka salan.
Video version of Vegetable dum biryani
you didnt mentioned quantities of whole spices to be added in marination process.
Otherwise, recipe looks good. Will try soon 🙂
Hi Himanshu!Thank you for visiting the blog.i will correct the ingredients …. 🙂
Do we need to boil baby potatoes before adding to marination?
Hi Mayura! you don’t need to boil before….you add them directly to the marinade… 🙂
Can u please mention the how much rice u have used thanks for all the recipes u r posting those are very helpful for me
Hi!Swapna.take 600 grams of rice.i forgot to add this in the text version.updated now.i’m happy that my recipes are helpful.you are welcome….. 🙂
thanks bindu for replying so fast and wish u all the best
you are welcome dear Swapna…and thank you so much for your wishes :-).
Oh my god
please check the notes once there is something technical problem going on i guess
Thank you for informing me … I have rectified the problem now 🙂
There is a mistake in the Red Chili powder proportions, your website (text) has the right amount : 21/2 teaspoons
Your video(youtube) link has incorrect instructions 21/2 tbsps, which made it too spicy when i prepared it.
if you can correct your video that would be great.
Hi! Rajan.Thank you so much for correcting the mistake….I have updated it in the video…. 🙂