Urad dal vada is a popular breakfast recipe served with coconut or peanut chutney and sambar. In south India Urad dal vadas are made on all festivals and auspicious occasions.
They are offered as Naivedyam to God on festivals like Sankranti(Pongal),Ugadi,Ganesh Chaturthi,Dushera and Diwali. And they are also served in almost all south Indian wedding parties.
You can save some vadas and prepare Dahi vadas with them or you can make sweet vadas(vadas soaked in sugar syrap).
My grand mother used to grind the batter in mortar.she used to take a small banana leaf, pat vada batter on that.There’s a lot of taste difference between those vadas and vadas that i’m doing.I used to sit beside her and eat them hot.If God appears before me, i would ask him a boon to bring those days back.
Video version of Urad dal vada
Text version of Urad dal vada
- black gram/urad dal-2 cups
- ginger-1 inch
- green chillies-3
- cumin seeds-1 tbsp
- eating soda-a pinch
- oil-for deep frying
- soak urad dal for 4-6 hours.rinse urad dal thoroughly.
- put urad dal in a mixer jar, add cumin seeds,green chillies,ginger,salt and eating soda.
- don’t add water.run the mixer for 2 minutes.
- add very little water if required.
- take the batter into a bowl.
- heat oil for deep fry.
- when the oil is hot, take small portions of batter into your palm ,make flat round shape vadas and slowly drop into oil.
- fry them till they turn into golden brown colour.
My medu vadas burst sometimes..Want to know reason
maybe your batter is a little runny or you might be overmixing the batter before making. overmixing the batter turns the batter fluffy. the fluffy batter contains air bubbles inside. when heated the air gets released and they burst eventually.