Very tasty and healthy Andhra style Bhindi fry recipe
this is my daughter’s favorite recipe.I prefer making pulusu with okra but she asks me to prepare fry.so I always cut them on the previous night and let them dry under the ceiling fan.this is to prevent the fry from becoming sticky.you can also use 1 tsp of yogurt or lemon juice to avoid the stickiness.
Text version of Bhindi fry
- Bhindi/okra – 500 grams
- dried red chillies – 3
- garlic cloves – 4 or 5
- fresh curry leaves – 5 sprigs
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- peanuts – 1/4 cup
- cashew nuts – 1/8 cup or 10
- desiccated coconut – 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- salt – as required
- oil – 5 tbsp
- rinse the okra thoroughly for 2-3 times.
- pat them dry with a clean cloth.
- remove the head and tails.
- slice them 1cm size pieces.
- spread them on a paper and dry under the ceiling fan for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- you can also dry them under sunlight for an hour.
- heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- add peanuts and roast them.add cashew nuts while the peanuts are half roasted so they will get roasted at a time.
- add 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves and fry until they stop spluttering.
- take them into a plate and keep aside.
- add 3 tbsp of oil in the same pan and heat again.
- when the oil is hot,add the okra/bhindi pieces and mix well.
- cover and cook on medium heat until the pieces turn into olive green color from thick green color.mix in between.
- open the lid,add turmeric powder,dried red chilli powder,salt and mix gently.
- leave it on very low flame for 2-3 minutes.do not use the lid at this point.
- add desiccated coconut powder,mix gently and cook for 1-2 minutes on low heat.
- add roasted peanuts,cashew nuts and curry leaves and turn off the heat.
Video version of Bhindi fry