Coconut chutney is one of my favorite among all Andhra chutneys.This coconut chutney is served with rice.There is little difference between breakfast Coconut chutney and Rice coconut chutney. For this chutney you need to add tamarind,garlic cloves.i used green chillies but you can use red chillies instead of green chillies. i didn’t add water to this chutney while grinding. i made it into a coarse paste.
you need to choose mature coconut to prepare this chutney.mature coconuts are dark brown in color.first you need to break the coconut and then separate the flesh from its shell.next peel off the hard brown skin on the flesh.
Unfortunately,i don’t have a mortar and pestle. but it tastes good when pounded in mortar.I learned this recipe from my PINNI(mother’s younger sister).Try and enjoy….
Text version of Coconut chutney
- coconut – 1 full
- green chillies – 6 or 7
- tamarind – 1 lemon sized
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- chana dal – 1/8 cup
- black gram – 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- garlic cloves – 4
- curry leaves –
- coriander leaves
- salt – as needed
- oil – 4 teaspoons
- break one coconut and separate the flesh from the shell.
- peel off the hard brown skin,slice them and keep aside.
- heat up the pan,pour 2 teaspoons of oil.
- when the oil is hot add 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds,chopped green chillies and tamarind.
- fry them for 2-3 minutes.transfer them to a mixer jar.
- in the same pan pour 1 teaspoon of oil,add chana dal and black gram and roast them until they turn into light brown color.
- next add salt,garlic cloves to the green chillies in mixer and make them into a coarse paste.
- add sliced coconut pieces and make coarse paste.do not add water as it is a dry chutney.
- next add roasted chana dal,black gram/urad dal and coriander leaves to the chutney.
- run the mixer just for 2-3 seconds.
- transfer the chutney into a bowl.
- heat a pan,add 1 teaspoon oil.
- when the oil is hot,add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds,curry leaves and fry till they start sizzling.
- add the tempering to the chutney.
Leave a Reply