Easy Christmas Fruit Cake recipe with step by step instructions.
This is the best cake I ever made.I got the best compliments from my husband, daughter, and friends.this time I concentrated more on editing than cooking.I just wanted to make it very clear in easily understandable steps.it took two complete days just for the editing(video below).
this cake can be prepared very easily.but the important step is making caramel syrup which gives a nice dark brown color to the cake.I have used dry caramelization method.the sugar won’t melt as fast as the jaggery.it takes 7-10 minutes to start melting.you can see it changing the colors from white to golden color and to brown color and then to dark brown color.you need to keep stirring on medium heat until it turns to dark brown color otherwise it may quickly get burnt.once the sugar caramelizes just turn off the heat and add warm water to make caramel syrup.
for this cake I have used cashew nuts, almonds, dates, raisins, tutti frutti.you can use any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.like dry apricots, figs, walnuts etc.you just need to dredge them in the plain flour before adding to the cake batter.this is to prevent them from sliding down to the bottom of the batter.do not mix the batter for a longer time after adding fruits and nuts.just fold the batter once or twice.
my truly enthusiastic daughter put her filthy little hands to mix the batter while I was preparing the cake tin.she over mixed the batter and the fruits slid down to the bottom eventually.anyway, I had to console myself that at least they are somewhere in the cake Hmmmm.. ;).
Merry Christmas to all.keep cooking & Enjoy… 🙂
Text version of Fruit Cake
- For Caramel Syrup
- sugar – 1/2 cup or 100 grams
- warm water – 1/2 cup or 100 ml
- Fruits & Nuts chopped
- dates – 1/8 cup or 20g
- tutti frutti – 100g
- black/gold raisins – 1/8 cup or 20 grams
- cashew nuts – 1/8 cup or 20 grams
- almonds – 1/8 cup or 20 grams
- plain flour – 20 grams (for dredging)
- For cake batter
- plain flour – 200 grams
- unsalted butter – 150 grams
- sugar – 3/4 cup
- baking powder – 1 tbsp
- baking soda – 1 tsp
- eggs – 4
- For Seasoning
- vanilla essence/extract – 1 tsp
- orange zest – 1/2 tsp
- lemon zest – 1/2 tsp
- nutmeg + cinnamon + cloves powder – 1 tsp
- chop cashew nuts,almonds,dates,raisins.
- put the chopped nuts and trutti frutti in a bowl.
- add 20 grams of flour, mix well and keep aside.
- take a light-colored pan.
- add 1/2 cup of sugar and heat on low heat until it melts.
- start mixing when it starts to melt.
- it turns into nice gold color.
- keep mixing and until it turns into dark brown color.
- turn off the heat and keep aside.
- pour warm water and keep stirring until it turns into a nice syrup.
- take a mixing bowl, add unsalted butter, sugar, and mix until fluffy.
- add 2 eggs, half of the sugar caramel syrup and mix well.
- sift half of the flour adding baking powder, baking soda, spice powder and mix well.
- then add the remaining eggs, caramel syrup, flour, and mix well.
- add orange&lemon zest, vanilla essence and mix again.
- add dredged fruits&nuts and just give it a small mix.
- grease the cake tin with butter.
- pour the batter into the tin and spread evenly.
- bake it for 40 to 45 minutes at 180 °c.
- take out the tin and let it cool down completely.
- dust the cake with powdered sugar using a sieve.
- place any fruits of your choice.
Video version of Fruit Cake