My daughter asked me to prepare a variety dish for her as she wants to enjoy the last week of her summer vacation. I thought for many hours and decided to prepare Mixed non-veg Biryani. This biryani is made with Mutton,Chicken,Prawns and Fish.
During the early days of my marriage,we used to visit a hotel named Spicy World(Hyderabad). In their menu they had a special item, Mixed non-veg Biryani. I don’t know the reason, but they don’t serve that biryani at table. But we can get it from the takeaway counters.That was first time I tasted that biryani. It’s a heavenly taste.later we moved from that area to another area in the city and I didn’t taste it again. this is for the first time I prepared Mixed Non-veg Biryani recipe. It turned out fantastic.
While i was shooting this recipe the battery got completely exhausted and I didn’t see it. So it stopped suddenly showing a message “Error in recording”. So the entire marination clip has gone. I burst into tears. My husband consoled me. later somehow i managed to recover the file up to 50 percent. that is why you cannot see “adding yogurt to the marination in this video”.
For any biryani marination is the most important part. the outcome of the recipe mainly depends on the marination. In this recipe, I added all the spices according to my taste. I suggest you to taste the marinade and adjust the spices according to your taste. when you taste the marinade,you may almost feel like you are tasting biryani,but the only difference is that it is not cooked yet.
If you don’t have enough time to prepare this biryani, you can prepare all the marinades(except fish) on the previous night, and keep in refrigerator.prepare biryani masala on the previous day and keep in airtight container.Try Mixed non-veg biryani and enjoy..
Text version of Mixed Non-veg Biryani
- For Biryani Masala
- shahi jeera – 1 tablespoon
- fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon
- blackstone flower – 5 grams
- cinnamon sticks – 3 (1 inch sticks)
- mace – 1 flower
- nutmeg – 1/2 of the fruit
- star anise -1
- bay leaf – 1
- For Marination
- mutton/goat meat – 500g
- fish boneless-500g
- red chilli powder-3 tbsp
- turmeric powder -2 teaspoons
- coriander powder-1 tbsp
- salt-as required
- ginger garlic paste – 4 tablespoons
- green chilli paste-3 tbsp
- biryani masala-4 teaspoons
- semi thick yogurt-1 kg
- oil-6 tbsp
- ghee/clarified butter-8 tbsp
- fried onions – 4 medium
- fresh mintleaves-2 cups
- For Rice
- Basmati rice/long grained rice – 1250 grams
- salt-as required
- whole spices-
- mint leaves-handful
- put all the biryani masala ingredients that i mentioned above in a blender and make them into a powder and keep aside.
- cut onions into very thin long slices and fry them till they turn into brown color.
- take them into a plate,soon they will become crispy.keep aside.
- wash all the meats thoroughly.
- marinate them separately.
- marinate fish with turmeric powder(1 teaspoon),salt-1/2 tbsp,red chilli powder-1 tbsp,coriander powder-1 tbsp,ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp,biryani masala
- (1 teaspoon) and keep aside.
- First marinate mutton with salt,red chilli powder(1 tbsp),turmeric powder(1 teaspoon),biryani masala(1 teaspoon),ginger garlic paste(1 tbsp),fried
- onions,chilli paste(1 tbsp),semi thick yogurt(400 g),mint leaves and lemon juice(half).
- marinate chicken with salt,,red chilli powder(1 tbsp),turmeric powder(1 teaspoon),biryani masala(1 teaspoon),ginger garlic paste(1 tbsp),fried
- onions,chilli paste(1 tbsp),semi thick yogurt (250 g),mint leaves and lemon juice(half).
- next marinate prawns with ,red chilli powder(1 tbsp),turmeric powder(1 teaspoon),biryani masala(1 teaspoon),ginger garlic paste(1/2 tbsp),fried
- onions,chilli paste(1 tbsp),semi thick yogurt (200 g),mint leaves and lemon juice(half).
- soak all the marinades for 2 hours
- take 5 cups/1250 g of rice soak in water for an hour.
- heat oil for deep fry.
- when the oil is heat,drop fish pieces carefully and fry them for 5 minutes.
- take them out and keep aside.
- take a vessel,add enough water so the rice can move freely while cooking.
- add salt,water should taste salty when you taste.
- add whole spices and fresh mint leaves.
- put the vessel on high flame and bring water to boil.
- when the water starts to boil,add soaked rice.water stops to boil after adding rice,so bring it to boil again and cook for just 3 minutes.
- turn off the heat and strain out the water from rice immediately.
- take a heavy bottomed vessel,grease it with 2 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter.add oil(60 ml-you can use the oil used for frying fish)
- add the mutton marinade first and chicken marinade next.
- add a thin layer of half-cooked rice and spread it evenly.
- next add prawns marinade.
- add 3/4 th of the remaining rice as another layer.
- squeeze a lemon and add 2 tbsp oil.
- add fried fish pieces.add the remaining rice.
- add fresh mint leaves and fried onions.
- cover the vessel with aluminium foil and place a flat lid over it.
- put the vessel on high flame.place heavy weight on the lid to prevent vapors from escaping.
- cook on high flame for 15 minutes.
- turn it to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
- turn off the heat.don’t open it till 30 minutes.
You might also like my other recipesHyderabadi chicken biryani,Vegetable dum biryani,Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani,Chicken Pot biryani,Prawns biryani
very tasty non-veg biryani