Mango Ginger Pickle Recipe with step by step instructions.తెలుగు వెర్షన్.
Mango Ginger/Mamidi Allam is available during winter season.It looks like normal ginger but smells exactly like Raw Mango.It has no bitter taste like normal ginger and less pungent.it is used in Ayurvedic Medicine as it has many medicinal values.Mango Ginger helps in reducing the cough, indigestion, inflammation etc.
when I was a child my grandmother used to prepare this pickle.she used to mix a very hot rice with some ghee or butter and the pickle and give us a mouthful morsels.whenever I remember those days I can still feel the taste of her morsels and her love.
Coming back to the recipe.Usually ginger tastes bitter.so we add jaggery to reduce the bitterness.tamarind is used to neutralize the spiciness of red chili powder.Jaggery is not used in Telangana and some other regions.But Andhra people use jaggery while making Mango ginger pickle or Normal ginger pickle.if you want to make the same pickle with normal ginger you need to add more jaggery than mentioned in this recipe as normal ginger is little more pungent and bitter than Mango Ginger.
This pickle tastes heaven when served with hot rice and ghee.It can also be served with all breakfast recipes like dosa, upma, bonda, vada etc.I hope you try and enjoy this pickle recipe.
you may also like
Cauliflower Pickle Recipe
Amla ka Achar/Gooseberry Pickle/Usirikaya Pachadi Recipe
Mushroom Pickle Recipe
Drumstick Pickle Recipe
Mango Pickle Temporary
Red Chili Pickle/Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi Recipe
Tomato Pickle Recipe
Andhra Mango Pickle Recipe
Text Version of Mango Ginger Pickle Recipe
- 250 to 300 grams Mango Ginger
- 150 grams tamarind
- 150 grams red chili powder
- 300 ml water
- 150 grams jaggery grated
- 3 pods garlic peeled
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
- Salt as per the taste
- 100 ml groundnut oil
- 250 ml groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp split urad dal
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 5 to 6 dried red chilies
- ½ tsp hing
- 1 pod garlic cloves peeled
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- Peel off the skin from ginger, cut them into small pieces and keep aside.
- Grate jaggery and keep aside.
- Peel off 4 garlic paste and keep 3 pods of garlic separately.3 pods for the pickle and 1 pod for the tempering.
- Dry roast fenugreek/methi seeds, powder them and keep aside.
- Boil tamarind in 300 ml of water until it almost turns into a paste.let it cool down to room temperature.
- Put 100 ml of groundnut oil in a pan and heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped mango ginger pieces and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
Transfer them to a plate and keep aside.
- Grind 3 pods of peeled garlic and sautéed mango ginger together into a fine paste.
- Put the boiled tamarind, jaggery in a grinding jar and make into a smooth paste.
- In the same jar, add mango ginger & garlic paste, salt as per the taste, roasted fenugreek/methi powder, red chili powder and grind into a smooth paste.
Transfer the pickle to a mixing bowl.
- In the same pan, add 250 ml groundnut oil.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, split urad dal, dried red chilies, 1 pod of peeled garlic cloves and saute until they stop sizzling.
- Add hing/asafoetida, curry leaves and fry until they stop spluttering.
- Pour the Tadka over the pickle and mix well.
Storage Transfer the pickle into a clean and dry airtight container.
Video Version of Mango Ginger Pickle Recipe