Ragi idli or Finger millet Idli is a south indian breakfast recipe.finger millets are rich source of calcium,iron and protein. For normal ildis we take Urad dal(black gram) and Idli rava in the ratio of 1 : 3. But for this Ragi Idli recipe, I took Urad dal, Idli rawa and Ragi or Finger millet flour in the ratio of 1 : 2 : 2. first you need to soak urad dal for 4-6 hours.grind it later and mix it with soaked and squeezed idly rawa. Then you need to add ragi or finger millet flour. mix it well. check the consistency of the batter.To get soft idlis, the batter must be in semi flowy consistency. So add water if needed.leave it overnight to ferment. it may take even longer time in cold weathers.
you can make idlis on the next day morning.can be served with onion chutney or coconut and peanut chutney.
Text version of Ragi idli
Ragi idli-Finger millet Idli breakfast recipe
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Cuisine: SOUTH INDIAN
Very soft and tasty Ragi or finger millet idlis for breakfast
- Black gram or urad dal – 1/4 cup
- Idli rava – 1/2 cup (double the qty of black gram)
- Ragi flour or finger millet flour – 1/2 cup (double the qty of black gram)
- eating soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- water – as needed
- olive oil – 1/2 teaspoon
- soak urad dal(black gram) and idli rava for 4 to 6 hours.
- after 4 hours rinse them.
- take idli rava and squeeze out the water from it and keep aside.
- take a blender,add soaked black gram and pour water 1 centimeter above the level of black gram.
- grind it into a smooth batter, add to idli rava and mix well.at this moment the batter would be in flowy consistency.
- add finger millet or ragi flour and mix it up.
- after adding ragi flour the batter will become thick.
- but the batter should have flowy (semi) consistency to get very soft idlis.
- so water add water as needed and bring it to flowy consistency.
- leave it overnight.
- on the next day morning you can see a nicely fermented batter.
- add little salt and mix it again.
- take idli plates,grease them with very little olive oil and pour the batter.
- take idli cooker or a pressure pan(don’t put whistle while cooking), pour 2 cups of water and place the idli stand in it.
- cook on high flame for 12-15 minutes and turn off the heat.
- wait till all the pressure is gone.open the lid and separate idlis with spoon.
1.for normal idlis we use black gram and idli rava in 1cups :3cups ratio.[br]2.but for ragi idlis the ratio is 1:2.[br]3.fermentation time may vary depending on weather conditions.[br]4.in cold weather it may upto 24 hours.[br]5.in the above video i didn’t add salt.but you can add if you want.[br]6.serve hot with coconut chutney,peanut chutney or red onion chutney.