Sabudana Kheer Recipe with step by step instructions.తెలుగు వెర్షన్.
Sabudana Kheer is Simply amazing and super tasty recipe.Usually, it is prepared on all auspicious occasions in India mainly in south India.A very first item which comes to mind when we think of Naivedyam to God is Kheer/Payasam.There are many variations of this recipe.Semiya, Rice, broken wheat, poha(flattened rice), carrot, oats, sabudana etc are used to make a variety of Kheer recipes.few people prepare it using jaggery and few with sugar.both the versions taste good.but jaggery is a healthy option.
I failed many times making Kheer with Jaggery.I used to jaggery directly to the milk.That was the mistake I came to know very lately.we shouldn’t add the jaggery directly to the boiling milk.jaggery syrup should be prepared separately and should be mixed with the boiled milk(after 5 minutes you turn off the stove).
soaking the Sabudana reduces the boiling time and it will get cooked properly.In the video below I showed the processes one after the other.but you can make the jaggery syrup and boil sabudana simultaneously.adding a little cardamom or a very small piece of nutmeg removes fishy smell (sorry 🙁 I don’t have a vegetarian metaphor)of the milk.cashew&almond powder really enhances the taste of payasam.If you aren’t adding sweetened condensed milk then you need to adjust the quantity of jaggery accordingly.you can add 50 grams more jaggery.It can be served hot or chilled.I like chilled Payasam very much.I hope you try and enjoy this super tasty sabudana Kheer.
you may also like
Text Version of Sabudana Kheer Recipe
- 150 g or ¾ cup Sabudana/Saggubiyyam/Tapioca
- 150 g jaggery
- 600 ml milk
- ½ cup or 150 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cardamoms
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 150 ml water for jaggery syrup
- 10 almonds
- 10 cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 4 pistachios
- 10 pieces coconut thinly sliced
- Soak sabudana for 30 minutes.
- Rinse for once before using.
- Take soaked sabudana into a vessel, add water up to 1-inch above the level of Sabudana.
- Bring to a boil.keep mixing continuously.otherwise, it may stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- when it starts to boil turn the flame to medium and cook until the outer layer of the sabudana seems to be transparent.
- Put the jaggery in a vessel and pour water.
Keep it on a high flame and cook until it starts to bubble.
- Once when it starts bubbling, keep stirring.
Cook until the syrup turns greasy.That means when you touch the syrup you should feel like touching the oil.
- Turn off the heat when the syrup turns greasy.keep the syrup aside.
- Put the almonds, cashew nuts and cardamom in a grinder and make into a fine powder.
- Pour milk into a vessel and bring to a boil.
- When the milk starts to boil, add boiled Sabudana, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, nuts powder and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on simmer and turn off the flame.
Let it rest for 3-5 minutes and then mix the jaggery syrup and Kheer together.
- melt ghee in a small pan.
- Add the chopped cashew nuts, raisins, almonds, thinly sliced coconut and roast for a minute.
- put them on the sabudana kheer and serve hot and serve chilled.
Video Version of Sabudana Kheer Recipe