Kajjikaya is a traditional Andhra sweet usually prepared during festivals. I prepared dry fruit kajjikayalu for this Sankranthi/Pongal by making little changes to the traditional recipe.like adding cashew nuts,almonds,pistachios and for the sweetness i used both jaggery and sugar.i skipped adding roasted chana dal(putnalu in telugu).i have used desiccated coconut.but fresh coconut can also be used.for that you need roast the coconut before adding to the filling mixture.
use the same measuring cup for taking semolina,jaggery and desiccated coconut.if you want to add roasted chana dal,just grind them along with the roasted nuts.add 1/4 cup of extra sugar.keep on cooking.Happy Sankranthi. 🙂
Text version of Dry fruit Kajjikayalu
- For Dough
- all-purpose flour – 250 grams
- oil/ghee – 4 tsp
- water – enough
- a damp cloth – to cover the dough
- For Filling
- semolina – 120 grams
- desiccated coconut – 60 grams
- jaggery powder – 100 grams
- cashew nuts – 20 grams
- almonds – 20 grams
- pistachios -10 grams
- roasted and peeled peanuts – 1/4 cup
- sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- raisins – 1 tbsp
- oil – for deep-frying
- take a mixing bowl,add all-purpose flour,oil and mix well.
- add water knead it into a smooth dough.
- do not excess water to mix the dough.
- apply some oil on the dough,cover it with a clean damp cloth and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- take any measuring cup and use the same for adding semolina,jaggery powder,desiccated coconut powder.
- heat a pan,add 2 teaspoon of ghee/clarified butter.
- add semolina and roast for 2-3 minutes on low heat.and keep aside.
- next add cashew nuts,almonds,pistachios and dry roast them for 2 minutes.
- later add sesame seeds and roast till they start spluttering.
- put the roasted nuts and sesame seeds in a blender,add dry roasted and peeled peanuts and run the mixer for just 2 seconds to make a coarse powder.
- take a bowl,add roasted semolina,desiccated coconut powder,jaggery powder,roasted nuts powder,sugar,raisins,cardamom powder and mix well.
- take a small portion from the dough,make it into a thin flat round shape with a rolling-pin.
- grase the Kajjikayalu Mould with oil.
- place the flattened dough on the mould.
- add 1 tablespoon of filling mixture approximately.
- close the mould and press it tightly.remove the excess dough.
- open the mould and separate the kajjikaya from it carefully.
- cut off the extra edges to give it a proper shape.
- i got 15 kajjikayalu for the quantities i used.
- you can heat oil while assembling the kajjikayalu.
- heat oil for deep-frying.
- drop them kajjikayalu into the oil carefully.
- flip them to both the side until they turn into nice golden color.
Video version of Dry fruit Kajjikayalu