Gulab Jamun is a delicious and popular Indian dessert which melts in mouth.when ever I prepare this dessert I make many promises to myself that I should taste only one or two jamuns.but I always break my promises and end up with eating half of the Jamuns. it tastes even good when served along with vanilla ice-cream.that’s my favorite combination.
i prepared this recipe using khoya/mawa . but it can also be prepared with same quantity of milk powder.adding a teaspoon of rose-water to the sugar syrup enhances the taste.
Text version of Gulab Jamun
- For Jamun Mixture
- khoya/mawa/kova – 150 grams
- maida/all-purpose flour – 1/4 cup
- semolina/suji – 1 1/2 tbsp
- cooking soda – 1/4 tsp
- ghee/clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- For Sugar syrup
- sugar – 2 cups
- water – 2 cups
- cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
- water – 2 tbsp appxly
- oil – for deep frying
- dry nuts – for garnishing
- take a heavy bottomed vessel,add 2 cups of sugar,2 cups of water and keep on stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- put it on the flame,bring to a boil.
- when it starts to boil add lemon juice to prevent the syrup from caramelizing.
- add cardamom powder.
- sugar syrup don’t need to be in string consistency.just boil until you feel like touching oil.
- turn off the heat,cover it and keep aside.
- take a bowl,add khoya,maida/all-purpose flour,semolina,cooking soda,ghee and mix well.
- just add very little water and knead it into a soft dough.
- grease your palms with little ghee.
- divide the mixture into equal portions and make into gooseberry-sized balls.
- heat oil for deep-frying on simmer.
- drop the balls into oil carefully.
- keep stirring continuously and carefully.
- jamuns floats to top slowly.
- fry on low heat until they turn into nice golden brown color.
- take them on to paper towels.
- repeat the process.
- add jamuns to the warm sugar syrup and soak for 1-2 hours or until the jamuns absorb the syrup properly.
- garnish with chopped pistachios,almonds,cashew nuts before you serve.
Video version of Gulab Jamun