Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan is a popular recipe which is served as a side dish for Hyderabadi Biryani. Tamatar ka salan can also be served as a side dish for biryani.long sized green chillies are used to prepare this recipe.They are fried separately in oil and later added to the gravy.the gravy is cooked with a paste made of peanuts,sesame seeds,coriander seeds,cumin seeds and tamarind water.There are some variations of this recipe. In this recipe i didn’t add any garam masala. but some people like to add it. some people may avoid adding coconut. Biryani without Mirchi ka salan and Raitha is incomplete.
There is no much difference in cooking Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan and Tamatar ka Salan. here tomatoes are added instead of Mirchis/chillies. But the tomatoes are boiled before they are added to the gravy.In the above video i added both mirchis and tomatoes at a time. Hyderabadi mirchi ka salan is very easy to prepare.Try and enjoy ….
Text version of Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan
- For masala paste
- peanuts-1 tbsp
- coriander seeds-1 tbsp
- sesame seeds-1 tbsp
- cumin seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- grated coconut- 1 tbsp
- For curry(salan)
- Big green chillies -6
- onions-2 medium sized
- ginger garlic paste-2 teaspoons
- tamarind- one lemon sized
- turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
- red chilli powder-1 tablespoon
- salt-1 tbsp
- oil-6 tbsp
- heat up the pan,add peanuts,coriander seeds,sesame seeds and cumin seeds.
- dry roast them till you get a nice flavor.
- put them in a blender,add some water and make it into a fine paste.
- soak tamarind in 250 ml water approximately.
- pour little oil in a pan.fry green chillies for 2-3 minutes on low flame.take them into a plate and keep aside.
- take tomatoes make long slits with a knife on four sides.
- take a vessel,pour water,bring it to a boil.
- add tomatoes and boil them for 3-4 minutes.keep aside.
- heat the pan and pour oil.
- when the oil is hot,add thinly sliced onions and sauté till they are soft and caramelized.
- add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor is gone.
- add turmeric powder,salt and red chilli powder.mix well.
- add masala paste that was prepared.cook till the oil gets separated.
- next add tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- when the gravy starts to boil,add boiled tomatoes and fried green chillies.
- cook for 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- garnish with coriander leaves.
Video version of Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan
TYFS. I have searched for this recipe.
you are welcome… 🙂