nuvvula kaaram podi ¬ is one of the popular spice powders made in Andhra.nuvvula podi/sesame seeds spice powder/til powder is ¬†healthy and tasty accompaniment with idli,dosa,bonda,upma and rice.is also can be used in vegetarian fry recipes like bhindi fry,tindora fry,eggplants fry etc.
we are using this powder and curry leaves powder regularly from the past three years as it has many nutritional values.few people hesitate to use sesame seeds in their regular diet as they think that it causes heat in the body.but using a small quantity,like 1/2 tbsp doesn’t affect anything.sesame seeds are rich source of calcium,dietary fiber,magnesium and iron.they help increase in bone health,good digestion,beautiful skin and hair.
for first few times I used to make the powder only with sesame seeds later I started adding flax seeds in the ratio 4:1.flax seeds has many medicinal values as they reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, helps to lower the high blood pressure,helps fighting cancer etc….
you can take this powder regularly for breakfast like dosa,upma,idli or with one morsel of rice….. ¬†i got 800 grams of powder for the quantities given below.this quantity is sufficient for a family of 4 for 25-30 days.but you can make this in¬†¬†small quantities.whatever the quantity you take the ratio of sesame seeds and falx seeds should be in 4:1.shelf life of this powder is one month.do not grind the sesame seeds for longer time.otherwise the oil oozes out and you will get musty smell.so run the mixer for just 2 to 3 seconds while grinding.keep on cooking,stay healthy and fit….. ūüôā
Text version of Nuvvula kaaram podi
- white sesame seeds/til/nuvvulu – 400 grams
- flax seeds – 200 grams
- split bengal gram/chana dal – 75 grams
- split black gram/urad dal – 75 grams
- dried red chillies – 10 or 15
- garlic cloves – 7 or 10
- cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- salt – as required
- oil – 2 tbsp
- heat a pan,add flax seeds and dry roast on medium heat for 2 minutes and keep aside.
- add white sesame seeds and dry roast until they start to splutter or the color changes slightly.take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- heat 2 tbsp of oil,then add split bengal gram,split black gram,dried red chillies,garlic cloves,cumin seeds,coriander seeds and roast until crispy.
- let all the roasted ingredients cool down to room temperature.
- grind them one by one starting with flax seeds.
- later grind sesame seeds.run the grinder for 2-3 seconds.otherwise the oil in sesame seeds oozes out.
- put the remaining ingredients in blender,add salt and garlic cloves and grind them into powder.
- mix all ground ingredients really well and store in an air tight container.