authentic Andhra style ridge gourd tomato chutney recipe with step by step instructions
I like chutneys too much.when I was a child my grandmother used to pound the chutneys in a stone mortar in the backyard.after making chutney she used to put very hot rice and ghee in the mortar itself,mix it with chutney and give a fistful of morsels to us.drooling memories 🙂 .no granny no chutney now 🙁 .
I always like making coarse chutney than puree like chutney.coarse chutney tastes better than a paste like chutney.for that you need to run the grinder for just 3-5 seconds.the number of chilies you need to use depends on the size and type. if you are using very hot variety ,just add 3-4 chilies.adding Tadka(tempering) is optional.i usually don’t add tadka to the chutneys except for the cucumber chutney.
this chutney goes well with hot rice and ghee/clarified butter,roti and dosa.i hope you try and enjoy this amazing taste 🙂
you may also like Brinjal tomato chutney , Raw banana curd chutney , Onion chutney.
Text version of Ridge gourd tomato chutney
- ridge gourd/<g class=”gr_ gr_67 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace” id=”67″ data-gr-id=”67″>beerakaya</g> – 250 grams
- tomatoes – 2(115 grams)
- green chilies – 7 to 10
- tamarind – 15 grams
- garlic cloves – 3 or 4
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- salt – as per taste
- oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
- For tempering
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- dried red chili – 1
- split Bengal gram – 1/2 tsp
- black gram – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida – a pinch
- <g class=”gr_ gr_68 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling” id=”68″ data-gr-id=”68″>peel off</g> the ridges from the ridge gourd.do not remove the skin.
- cut the ridge gourd and tomatoes into inch cubes.
- cut the green chilies and keep aside.
- heat 3 to 4 tbsp of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds,cut vegetables and tamarind.
- cover and cook until they become tender or the ridge gourd pieces turn into olive green color.mix in between.
- turn off the heat and let them cool down.
- take them into a grinding jar and run it for just 3-5 seconds and make into a coarse chutney.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan.
- add red chili,mustard seeds,cumin seeds,split Bengal gram,black <g class=”gr_ gr_58 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep” id=”58″ data-gr-id=”58″>gram and fry until they stop spluttering.
- add a pinch of Hing/asafoetida and turn off the heat.
- pour the <g class=”gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace” id=”55″ data-gr-id=”55″>tadka</g> over the chutney.
Video version of Ridge gourd tomato chutney
Wish u and u r family happy Diwali, I visit u r blog almost daily I like what ever recipe u prepare and this one is also as usual superb
Thank you so much for your Diwali wishes dear Swapna 🙂 Happy Deepavali to you and your family too…with love Bindu