Dosa is a staple breakfast and an inevitable delicacy of South India. the taste and texture of dosa depends on the consistency of batter. Then how to prepare Dosa Batter? – Urad dal/black gram and rice are the ingredients. different proportions of urad dal and rice are used to prepare dosa batter. For a crispy and paper like dosa the ratio of urad dal and rice should be 1:3 . For soft dosas it should be 1:2. In hotels they mix some maida flour to the batter.
The taste of dosa also depends on the rice used. normal,unpolished broken rice tastes 100% better than polished rice.you can also use brown rice instead.I like them crispy and porous.so i use to add 1 cup of oats and 1 1/2 cup of rice for 1 cup of Black gram.
most important thing is fermenting dosa batter.dosa made with perfectly fermented batter tastes extremely good with a little sour taste.fermentation takes longer time in cold weather.you can keep the batter in the oven with its light ON all the night.
dosas are usually served with peanut chutney,coconut chutney,kaaram podi and Sambaar.
Text version of Dosa batter
- urad dal/black gram – 150 grams
- rice – 300 grams
- water – enough
- salt – as required
- take a bowl,add urad dal and rice.
- pour water and soak for 4-6 hours.
- rinse soaked urad dal and rice for 2-3 times.
- transfer them to batter grinding jar,add water 2 centimeters above the level of dal and rice.
- add salt and run the mixie until the batter becomes soft.
- pour the batter into a vessel,cover and leave it overnight for fermentation.
Video version of Dosa batter