Masala Vada Recipe with step by step instructions.Telugu Version.
Masala vada is a popular South Indian snack item prepared with a batter made of Chana Dal and Vada masala. these tasty vadas can be prepared very easily. when I was a child, My mom used to prepare this vada during monsoon season. but she used to make punugulu more than masala vada. hot masala vadas taste like heaven.even the picky eaters would like to have them. I used to eat them at ‘Bajjila bandi(mobile street food stall)’.the vendor used to give very hot vadas sprinkled with some spice powder, some chopped onions and a lemon wedge. I still remember those beautiful days.
you can surprise and impress your guests by serving these tasty hot vadas. you can prepare them in very less time, like 30 minutes, if you soak the dal a few hours before. the outcome of the vadas depends on how you prepare the batter. for the perfect consistency, you need to grind the Chana Dal into a coarse paste without adding the water. if you add water while grinding the batter turns into a fine paste and also becomes runny. you cannot pat vadas with a runny batter. or the vadas absorb too much oil or the batter splits down immediately after dropping into the oil.so you need to grind the batter without adding any water.you may ask “then how can we grind the batter without adding water?”.for that you need to soak the Chana dal for a proper time. if the soaked dal splits in half easily when you press with your nail then the Dal is perfectly soaked. the moisture in the Dal is enough to grind into a coarse batter.
suggested serving size is 3 to 4.because eating many masala vadas may lead to gastric trouble. they taste good when served with kaaram podi, chopped onions, and a lemon wedge. A gloomy rainy day is the best day to prepare Masala vadas.you can enjoy a lot. I hope you try and enjoy :).
you may also like
Text Version of Masala Vada Recipe
Vadas made with Chana dal.a tasty and tempting evening snack recipe.
- 200 grams Chana dal/Split Bengal Gram
- 1 litre water
- 1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon stick/Dalchini
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 3 sprigs mint leaves
- salt as required
- oil for deep-frying
- a small plastic sheet
- 1 tbsp oil to grease your palms
- take the chana dal into a bowl and rinse for 2-3 times.
- soak in water for 4 to 5 hours and rinse again for 2 times.
- put fennel seeds/saunf, cumin seeds/jeera, cinnamon stick, dried red chilies in a grinder jar and make into a fine powder.
- grind the soaked chana dal into a coarse paste without adding any water.
- take the batter into a mixing bowl.
- add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, coriander, mint leaves, salt and mix well.
- heat oil for deep frying.
- grease your palms with oil before making each vada.
- take a lemon-sized batter each time and pat into a flat round shape.
- when the oil is hot, leave the vadas into the oil carefully.
- fry the vadas on medium-high flame until they turn into nice golden brown color.
Video Version of Masala Vada Recipe