Rava Laddu is a popular Indian sweet which is prepared on festivals like Diwali,Sri krishna jayanti and Ganesh chaturthi. Semolina/Suji is used for this recipe.there are few variations of rava laddu.but chose the quick and easy method. i used freshly grated coconut for this preparation.but desiccated coconut can also be used.
semolina,cashew nuts & raisins,grated coconut are roasted separately and mixed together along with powdered sugar when they are hot(you need to mix them immediately after you switch off the heat).adding warm milk helps in melting sugar and turns the mixture to binding consistency.roasted semolina also absorbs milk and becomes soft and glossy.milk should be added little by little.otherwise the mixture becomes like a paste.
you can also roast and grind semolina before mixing.but i didn’t do so to keep the rava texture.another way is to add sugar syrup to the roasted ingredients and bind them into laddus.you can skip adding milk in this method.
Text version of Rava Laddu
- suji/semolina – 1 cup (170g)
- powdered sugar – 170 grams
- grated coconut – 3/4 cup (80 g)
- warm milk – as required
- cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
- raisins – 1 tbsp
- cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- ghee/clarified butter – 3 tbsp
- break coconut in half.
- keep them in refrigerator for an hour then you can extract the shells very easily without any efforts.
- next separate the flesh from shell.
- peel off the dark brown skin from the shell.
- make it into small pieces and take into grinder jar.
- run the mixer just for 10 – 15 seconds. otherwise it will turn into paste.
- heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan.
- add suji/semolina and sauté for 3-5 minutes on low heat.take it into a plate and keep aside.
- heat 1 tbsp of ghee,add freshly grated coconut and sauté for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- turn off the heat.take roasted semolina and coconut into a mixing bowl immediately.
- add roasted cashew nuts,powdered sugar,cardamom powder and mix well.
- add warm milk little by little until the mixture reaches binding consistency.
- grease your palms with ghee,take a portion of the mixture and bind into round-shape.
Video version of Rava Laddu
Neatly shown videos, , like to know more of veg receipe, especially rice recipes I didn’t find any veg side. dishes
Hi Shashikala!i will try to upload more rice recipe videos soon…. please go through the link once. http://www.foodvedam.com/Page2/vegetarian//veg-rice-recipes/