I tried this recipe Ulava charu Chicken curry(chicken curry in horse gram soup) for first time and it turned absolutely outstanding and finger licking good.
the main ingredient which makes this recipe so special is Horse gram soup or Ulava Charu in Telugu. the total taste of this recipe depends on the soup. here in Andhra and Telangana states you can buy this soup from all super markets and sweet shops. It is easily available here. but I’m not sure whether it is available in any other states because , when we were in Mumbai, I didn’t find it any where. but you can prepare it at home easily. follow the instructions in METHOD-2 of printable text version given below.
On one day when I was on the way to my Aunt’s house in Vijayawada. I saw a sign board ULAVACHARUBIRYANI. I wondered how could there be such a recipe like this. I thought– probably they might have forgotten adding COMMA between the words. but later I came to know that it is very popular recipe in Andhra. during my recent visit to Vijayawada ,my husband ordered this Ulavacharu chicken curry at restaurant. but i didn’t taste that. he told it was excellent. so i prepared this recipe today. and i have no words to explain .it’s a heavenly taste. tastes good when served with fresh cream. Try and Enjoy…..
Text version of Andhra Ulava charu chicken curry
- boneless chicken – 300 grams
- horsegram stock – 500 ml
- chopped onions – 2 medium
- green chillies – 3
- salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves –
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- oil – 5 teaspoons
- rinse chicken thoroughly and take it into a mixing bowl.
- add turmeric powder,salt(1/2 tsp) and red chilli powder(1/2 teaspoon).
- mix it well and keep aside for an hour.
- take a 250 ml pack of ready to eat horse gram rasam/soup (you can get it from any super market).
- pour it in a bowl,add 250 ml water to it.
- as it is ready to eat soup it contains some curry leaves ,mustard seeds,onions and cumin seeds added while tempering.
- so use a strainer to remove them. keep it aside.
- soak 1 cup of horse gram overnight.
- rinse them and put in a pressure cooker.
- for 1 cup of horse gram add 2 cups of water.
- pressure cook up to 5-6 whistles.
- wait till all the pressure is gone and open the lid.
- put them in a strainer to separate the stock.
- add 50 g of tamarind paste to the stock and mix it.
- heat oil in a pan,add finely chopped onions,green chillies,salt and sauté till they become soft.
- add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw flavor is gone.
- add turmeric powder,1/4 tsp salt,1/2 teaspoon chilli powder,1/2 teaspoon coriander powder and mix well.
- add curry leaves.
- add the chicken marinade and mix it for once.
- cover it with a lid and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.mix in between.
- after 15 minutes open the lid, mix it for once and
- add Horse gram soup/ulava charu.
- keep stirring until the gravy thickens.
- garnish with coriander and turn off the heat.
Ulava charu or Horse gram rasam/soup is very good for health, to know the health benefits of horse gram please visit the link Horse Gram….