Bondalu isĀ aĀ popular south Indian breakfast recipe prepared with a batter made of maida/all purpose flour.
Preparation of the batter varies from place to place.usually we add 1/4 cup of rice flour to 1 1/2 cup of all- purposeĀ flour. but IĀ have added desiccated coconut powder instead of rice flour.on my recent visit to our hometown,my granny told meĀ to add coconut powder when I prepare the Bonda next time.they turned out really amazing this time.they were crispy outside and very hollow and fluffy inside.
you can prepare the batter on theĀ previous night and use on the next day morning.but you need to leaveĀ the batter for at least 30 minutes before you keep in the fridge and Ā take out from the fridge before 1 hour.
In hotels, they are usually served with sweet ginger chutney,cocnut&peanut chutney,kaaram podiĀ and Sambar.so IĀ made the chutneys along with the bondas.you can watch them in the video below.I have used desiccated coconut powder for the chutney but you can use fresh coconut also.this is very easy to prepare breakfast recipe.IĀ usually prefer doing them on Sundays.try and enjoy… š
Text version of Bondalu
- For bondalu
- all purpose flour/maida – 200 grams
- desiccated coconut – 1/4 cup
- green chillies – 2
- chopped ginger – 1/2 tsp
- baking soda – 3/4 tsp or 1 tsp
- salt – as needed
- semi thick yogurt – 120 grams
- water – as required
- oil – for deep-frying
- for sweet ginger chutney
- ginger – 25 grams
- tamarind – 20 grams
- jaggery – 20 grams
- dried red chillies – 4
- water – 100 ml
- salt – as required
- for coconut&peanut chutney
- desiccated coconut/fresh coconut – 1/3 cup
- roasted&peeled peanuts – 1/4 cup
- green chillies – 2 or 3
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- salt – as needed
- oil – 1 tbsp
- take a mixing bowl,add all purpose flour,desiccated coconut powder,chopped green chillies,ginger,cumin seeds,baking soda,salt and mix well.
- add semi thick yogurt and mix again.
- pour water little by little until you get the correct consistency.
- leave the batter for 30 minutes.
- take a small saucepan.add ginger,tamarind,jaggery,dried red chillies,water,salt and keep on high heat and bring to boil.
- turn the heat to simmer when it starts to boil.
- cook until the water evaporates.
- let it cool down and grind into a paste.
- heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- add cumin seeds,green chilli pieces and fry for 2 minutes.
- take them into a grinder jar,add roasted and peeled peanuts,desiccated coconut,salt and grind into a paste adding enough water.
- heat oil for deep-frying.
- mix the batter once before making bondas.
- take a handful of batter each time and drop a lemon sized quantity into the oil.
- fry them on medium high heat until they turn into nice golden brown color.flip in between.
Video version of Bondalu