Chicken Shawarma Recipe with step by step instructions.తెలుగు వెర్షన్.
Chicken Shawarma is an Arabic cuisine which is very similar to our Indian street foods Kati Roll and Frankie.I had never heard or seen shawarma before.one day I had tasted it for the first time in a food court when we went for a night show.it was very less spicy and was like eating raw meat covered with wrap.so I didn’t like it.it was 2 years back.later, I never tried it again.after 1 year, on one day my husband brought it while he was coming back to home from the office.I didn’t like to have it.but my husband insisted me.so I had to taste it.It was so yummy.from then onwards I became a big fan of shawarma.I use to order it for at least once in a week for my daughter and me.we love and enjoy shawarma.
this time I have decided to make it on my own.before making I asked my husband to take a video from the street vendor where we regularly get shawarma.I simply followed his way.shawarma is wrapped with pita bread.but here street vendors sometimes wrap it with rumali roti or with a hot dog bun.it’s been adapted according to the local taste.the recipe which I made was not 100% original shawarma.
I didn’t use the toppings like tahini, hummus etc.rotating vertical spit is used to grill the meat.we cannot have such equipment at home.so I put it on the direct flame(after pan frying) for few minutes for a nice smoky flavor.I have used cream cheese spread and chili sauce for the toppings and the wrap made with whole wheat flour.the taste was simply superb.you can also make it at your home with the ingredients that you already have.I hope you try and enjoy this amazing recipe.
you may also like
Text Version of Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- 500 grams chicken thigh pieces
- salt as required
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 3 cardamom
- 4 to 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato deseeded
- 5 to 6 leaves lettuce
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp cream cheese spread
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 3 to 4 pita bread/rumali roti/hot dog buns
- take the chicken into a bowl.
- add salt as required, pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, vinegar, yogurt, crushed cardamoms, and mix well.
- keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- put the marinated chicken pieces and fry 10 minutes on each side flipping in between.
- turn off the heat and keep aside.
- take each chicken piece and put it on direct flame using a skewer or grill mesh.
- turn the piece to all sides properly until it gets a nice smoky flavor and slightly burnt texture.
- slice the chicken into small strips and keep aside.
- add peeled&chopped cucumber, chopped tomato, onion, lettuce and mix well.
- take the pita bread/roti and smear 2 tbsp of mayonnaise over it.
- place a big spoon full of the filling mixture, put some cream cheese spread, chili sauce and wrap it properly.
- keep in microwave 10 to 15 seconds and serve hot.
Video version of Chicken Shawarma Recipe