Fish Biryani recipe with step by step instructions.
Fish biryani is one of the popular Hyderabadi delicacies.almost every Hyderabadi restaurant serves this dish. but most of them serve fry piece fish biryani. for that coated boneless fish pieces are fried and then added to the cooked biryani rice. this version also tastes good. but the joy of eating Fish DUM biryani is absolutely different(Dum biryani khane ka maja hi alag hai… ahh 😉 ).two years back I tried this recipe, which was an utter failure.did not even think of cooking this again. but I had to rethink after starting this blog again. I succeeded this time, on the second attempt. the taste was outstandingly delicious…sorry…FISHOLICIOUS… ><(((°>
many people don’t even think of cooking fish biryani as it seems to be difficult. but it is not as difficult as they think. few things to keep in mind while cooking this are
- you need to use the boneless fish rather than using normal fish. if anything goes wrong at least you will have a chance to eat 😉 (in case if the fish marinade at the bottom gets mushy).
- use a thick bottomed non-stick cooking pot.
- you will need a flat tawa/pan on which the cooking pot should be placed.
- keep an eye while cooking on dum to avoid sticking or overcooking.
- if you are a beginner, better you start with fewer quantities.
friends try and enjoy this amazing recipe…….. 🙂
you may also like
Text version of Fish Biryani
- 1 1/2 tsp shahi jeera/caraway seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
- 4 petals black stone flower
- 1 flower mace
- 1/8 nutmeg of a fruit
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 1-inch sticks cinnamon
- 3 medium-sized onions
- oil for deep-frying
- salt as required
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp biryani masala
- 2 deep-fried onions
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 300 grams whipped yogurt
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 5 tbsp oil
- 500 grams boneless fish
- 2.5 to 3 liters water
- 500 grams soaked basmati rice
- whole garam masala spices
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to mix until the water tastes salty
- 2 tsp oil
- a strainer
- 1 deep-fried onion slices
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp ghee
- aluminium foil to cover the pot
- 1 deep cooking pot with a lid
- 1 thick pan
- heat up the pan, add shahi jeera/caraway seeds, fennel seeds/saunf, black stone flower/biryani ka Phool, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, cloves, mace and dry roast for a minute.
- grind them and make into a fine powder and keep aside.
take 3 medium-sized onions. cut them into very thin long slices.
- heat oil for deep-frying.
deep fry onions until they turn into a nice golden brown color.
- strain out the excess oil to make them crispy.
- soak fish fillets in buttermilk for 5 minutes and rinse gently.
- cut them into pieces and keep aside.
- take 500 grams of Basmati rice into a bowl, pour water and soak for 30 minutes.
- later rinse for 2-3 times before cooking.
- take a mixing bowl, add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, biryani masala powder and mix them.
add 4-5 tbsp of oil(you can use the leftover oil used for deep-frying onion and mix again.
- add fried onions, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, squeeze half a lemon, add finely whipped yogurt and mix it up really well.
put the fish pieces and mix gently.
- leave the marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- pour 2.5 to 3 liters of water in a vessel.
add whole garam Masala spices, salt, and a little oil.
bring the water to boil. when the water starts to boil add the soaked Basmati rice.
water stops to boil after adding the rice, so bring it to boil again.
- cook for exactly 3 minutes from the boiling point and turn off the heat.
- strain out the water from rice immediately.
- grease the cooking pot with little oil.
- add the fish marinade.then spread half boiled rice over it.
- add fried onions, fresh mint leaves, and little ghee.
cover the pot with aluminum foil and cover with lid.
- keep a thick pan on the flame and place the cooking pot over it.
- cook on high heat for 15 minutes.
- next turn the heat to simmer and cook for 7-10 minutes.
turn off the heat. transfer the biryani into serving bowl turning the pot upside down.