Ulavacharu Chicken Biryani recipe with step by step instructions.
Text version of Ulavacharu Chicken Biryani
Ulavacharu Chicken Biryani restaurant style recipe
Recipe Type: Main
- For Masala
- cardamom – 5
- cloves – 5
- cinnamon – 3 1 inch sticks
- mace – 1
- Marathi moggu/kapok buds – 2sticks
- star anise – 1
- nutmeg – 1/4 piece
- fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- shahi jeera/caraway seeds – 1 tbsp
- biryani ka phool – 1 tbsp
- For Marination
- chicken – 1 kg
- yogurt – 500 grams
- ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- red chili powder – 2 to 3 tbsp
- salt as required
- Biryani masala – 3 to 4 tsp
- green chilies – 3 or 4
- coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- fried onions – 40 to 50 grams
- lemon – 1
- ghee – 2 tbsp
- oil – 60 ml
- For Boiling Rice
- Basmati Rice – 600 grams
- water – 3 liters
- whole garam masala spices
- salt – as required
- oil – 2 tbsp
- mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- For Ulavacharu Biryani
- ulavacharu/kollu rasam – 250 to 300 ml
- mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- fried onions – 10 grams
- oil – 1 tbsp
Making Biryani Masala
- heat a pan, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, mace, Marathi moggu, star anise, nutmeg, fennel seeds, shahi jeera, biryani ka phool and roast them for 2 minutes on slow heat.
- turn off the heat and make them into powder.
Marinating the Chicken
- take a large mixing bowl, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, biryani masala and mix well.
- add yogurt, oil, ghee and mix again.
- add chopped green chilies, coriander, mint leaves, fried onions and squeeze out the lemon juice.
- put the chicken pieces in the marinade.mix well.
- leave the marinade for 1 hour.
Soaking the Rice
- take 600 grams of rice in a bowl.
- add water and soak for 30 minutes.
- rinse for 2-3 times before use.
Cooking the Chicken Marinade
- grease the Biryani pot with 1 tbsp of oil and transfer the chicken marinade into it.
- cover the pot with an aluminium foil, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes on high heat.
- turn the heat to simmer after¬†cooking for 15 minutes.
*COOK THE CHICKEN MARINADE AND RICE SIMULTANEOUSLY*
- take 3 liters of water in a vessel.
- add whole garam masala spices, mint leaves, salt, oil and bring the water to a boil.
- when the water starts to boil, add the soaked rice.
- water stops to boil after adding the rice.so bring it to boil again.
- cook the rice for 3 minutes from the boiling point and turn off the heat.
- strain out the water immediately and keep the rice aside.
- remove the aluminium foil on the biryani pot and add Ulavacharu/kollu rasam.
- mix well and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- add half of the rice as a layer, add mint leaves and fried onions.
- add the remaining rice and spread it evenly.
- top it with mint leaves and fried onions.
- cover the pot with aluminium foil&put the lid on and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- turn off the heat and let it rest for 15-30 minutes and serve then.